The American Red Cross announces the following dates for blood drives.
• October 1, 1 p.m.-5:30 p.m., Franklin Elementary School blood drive. 727 South Franklin Road, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 786-2459.
• October 5, 1:30 p.m.-6 p.m., Mount Airy Community blood drive. Surry Chapter Building, 844 Westlake Drive, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 786-4183.
• October 7, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Surry Community College blood drive. 630 South Main Street, Dobson. For an appointment, call 816-6280.
• October 8, 12:30 p.m.-5 p.m., CK Technologies blood drive. 710 Piedmont Triad West Drive, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 786-2642 ext. 7654.
• October 15, 8 a.m.-1:30 p.m., North Surry High School blood drive. 2440 West Pine Street, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 789-5055.
• October 18, 12:30 p.m.-5 p.m., Bannertown Baptist Church blood drive. 1834 Westfield Road, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 789-2505.
• October 20, 2 p.m.-6:30 p.m., Haymore Baptist Church blood drive. 319 Rockford Street, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 816-6280.
The blood inventory is in need of all blood types. The Carolinas Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross, which supplies blood to 103 hospitals, needs 1,600 blood and platelet donors each day in order to meet the needs of patients in those hospitals.
Blood donors must be 16 years of age (parental consent form needed), must meet new height and weight requirements and be in good health on the day of donating. Go to www.surrycountyredcross.org for the parental consent form that is needed for a 16-year-old to give blood. Don’t forget an ID. Donors should drink plenty of water, avoid caffeine, eat iron rich foods and eat well before donating. For more information, call the Surry County Red Cross at 786-4183, (800) 448-3542 or visit www.GIVELIFE.org.