Cardinals name Lowman football coach
Photo contest winners named
Hearing set for contoversial rezoning
Quiz Bowl returns, students compete
Late-season snow wreaks havoc
- Cardinals name Lowman football coach - 3:37 pm updated: 5:25 pm.
- Photo contest winners named - 7:05 pm
- Botany Class visits Pilot Mountain State Park - 3:03 pm
- Hearing set for contoversial rezoning - 6:51 pm
- Quiz Bowl returns, students compete - 9:09 am
- Late-season snow wreaks havoc - 4:38 pm
- Giving voice to ‘the other man’ - 2:05 pm updated: 12:57 pm.
- Smart Start receives funding to expand Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library across NC - 7:31 am
- History Talk focuses on women in wartime - 11:03 am
- Young Old-Time musicians compete - 6:00 pm
- Area students meet the robots at SCC - 7:49 pm
- Bestselling author to be at library - 6:47 pm
- Winds disrupt county - 6:59 pm updated: 7:11 pm.
- ‘Happy Days’ comes to Mayberry - 7:35 pm
- Filing period ends for most offices - 5:47 pm
- Flinchum named Ruritan of Year - 10:19 pm
- Poindexter’s work to be featured - 10:14 pm
- Pilot Mountain Police Reports - 7:44 pm
- Mountie winners walk red carpet - 7:10 pm updated: 7:42 pm.
- JROTC hosts military ball - 10:37 am
- Two more candidates file in county - 8:55 pm
- Spending priorities divide commissioners - 9:42 pm
- Cedar Ridge does well in math contest - 9:30 am
- Filing begins for state, local offices - 2:15 pm
- Local Mardi Gras party returns - 8:11 pm
Young Old-Time musicians compete
The next generation of Old-Time musicians competed Saturday at the Andy Griffith Museum theater.The young musicians were divided into two age groups: ...
Area students meet the robots at SCC
DOBSON — Surry Community College’s Advanced Manufacturing Day on Friday brought in 350 students from area schools to get information about...
Bestselling author to be at library
John Hart, the author of five New York Times bestsellers, will be doing a personal appearance and book signing at the Mount Airy Public Library on Wed...
Winds disrupt county
High winds have caused a swath of destruction across the county, leaving 9,000 homes without power and an estimated 200 fallen trees, according to Joh...
‘Happy Days’ comes to Mayberry
Classic TV references will abound in May when an event sharing its name with one classic show — The Happy Days Tour — comes to the setting...
Filing period ends for most offices
DOBSON — The final days of the candidate filing period for most 2018 elections brought a flurry of candidates into the fray.The filing period fo...
East turns the tables
RONDA — Some things are so nice they need to happen twice.The East Surry Cardinals and the East Wilkes Cardinals first met this season in week 1...
Three SCC spikers honored for ‘17 performance
DOBSON — Moving back to her natural position of outside hitter paid huge dividends in 2017 for Anika Thomas and Surry Community College’s ...
Cards pull it out with 33 seconds left
PILOT MOUNTAIN — East Surry sent Starmount packing for the second time this season with a 21-14 victory over the Rams in the first round of the ...
East Surry wins JROTC Raider Challenge
The East Surry Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) program seemed to enjoy being at home Saturday as it took on a large and impressi...
BURLINGTON — About 15 minutes after their season came to an end on a damp Saturday evening, one could notice many of the East Surry tennis playe...
PILOT MOUNTAIN — Rivalries tend to bring out the best in both Mount Airy and East Surry for a number of reasons.Whether their motivation was the...
MULTIMEDIA - PHOTO STORE
Chicken breasts don’t have to be boring
Boneless chicken breasts have a lot going for them. They’re a lean protein, low in most of the stuff doctors warn against, and lately, they̵...
Dessert as metaphor for love
From the late 1950s until March 7, 2004, the world was divided between those people who dined at La Côte Basque, and those who did not.Regular di...
Danger of death by Crock-Pot overblown
It couldn’t come at a worse time.Just a little more than a week before the Super Bowl — when we will all be needing our crock-pots for chi...
Logan Mitchell will be 14 years old Jan. 18. His grandparents, Roger and Diane Mitchell, want to wish Logan a very Happy Birthday. They love him to th...
God is calling you to a life full of purpose
Romans 8:1-4, 28-30 “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in christ jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the spiri...
Zena was her name
To the person who hit and killed a dog on Shoals Road Friday night at 7:14 p.m. I just want you to know that Zena wasn’t a dog to me.Zena was an...
Reader: No problem with illegal immigrants
To the Editor,First, as one of those Americans, ‘who refuse to grasp, or are incapable of grasping, the harm illegal immigrants causes’, I...
Welcome home veterans
To the Editor,In 2011, the United States Senate passed a resolution declaring March 30 as “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.” Since then,...
Officer updates cancer-fighting progress
To the Editor,I would like to let everyone know the progress I’ve been making since I was diagnosed with cancer back in December.I’ve had ...
Reader Diary: Requiem for the heart of Elkin
Editor’s Note: Reader Diary is an occasional feature column penned by area readers. If you’d like to participate by sharing a particular m...
Harley Marsh got a brand new bicycle from Wayne and LaWanda Jessup last week. Harley is Betty Inman ‘s great-grandson. Betty wants Wayne And LaW...