The American Red Cross announces the following dates for blood drives.
• March 17, 8 a.m.-1:30 p.m., North Surry High School Blood Drive, 2440 West Pine Street, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 789-5055.
• March 21, 1:30-6 p.m., Elkin Community Blood Drive, Elkin Rescue Squad, 946 North Bridge Street, Elkin. For an appointment, call 526-6335.
• March 23, 1:30-6 p.m., Rockford Elementary School Blood Drive, 719 Rockford Road, Dobson. For an appointment, call 374-6300.
• March 25, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Northern Wellness and Fitness Blood Drive, 280 North Pointe Blvd., Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 783-0399.
• March 28, noon-4:30 p.m., Pilot Mountain Community Blood Drive, Pilot Mountain First UMC, 210 Marion Street, Pilot Mountain. For an appointment, call 368-4889.
• March 29, 2 p.m.-6:30 p.m., Salem Baptist Church Blood Drive, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For an appointment, call 374-9770.
The blood inventory is in need of all blood types. The Carolinas Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross, which supplies blood to 103 hospitals, needs 1,600 blood and platelet donors each day in order to meet the needs of patients in those hospitals.
Blood donors must be 16 years of age (parental consent form needed), must meet new height and weight requirements and be in good health on the day of donating. Go to www.surrycountyredcross.org for the parental consent form that is needed for a 16-year-old to give blood. Don’t forget an ID. Donors should drink plenty of water, avoid caffeine, eat iron rich foods and eat well before donating. For more information, call the Surry County Red Cross at 786-4183, (800) 448-3542 or visit www.GIVELIFE.org.