One dead following Pinnacle police stand off

By Nicholas Elmes -

An unidentified suspect is dead and another man is inthe hospital after an hours-long police stand off near a Pinnacle hair salon Friday evening.

Major Jeff Lemons, of the Stokes County Sheriff’s Department, said the incident began with a 5 p.m. call reporting a stabbing and armed robbery attempt at the Shear Country Hair and Tanning Salon on Old U.S. Highway 52.

He said moments after arriving at the scene officers were told by witnesses that the suspect, a white male, may be in a house further down Mill Street.

“Officers responded to the house and learned the suspect had barricaded himself in the house,” said Lemons, noting that officers were able to contact the suspect by cell phone and tried to get him to come out. “Over a two to three hour period we talked to him to try to get him to come out and he would not.”

When the suspect eventually exited the building, around 9 p.m., he had a weapon on him, according to Lemons.

“He was told numerous times to stop and drop the weapon,” said Lemons. “He did not comply with those commands and kept walking toward the officers with the weapon and shots were fired. EMS was called to the scene and they pronounced him deceased.”

Lemons said the case was immediately turned over to the State Bureau of Investigation, and noted that since it was still under investigation they could not release what kind of weapon the suspect was brandishing when he emerged from the house.

“We do not know how many officers fired at this point, but we know more than one officer fired,” he said.

Lemons said he did not know the condition nor the name of the stabbing victim, but said the man had been transported to a hospital in Winston-Salem.

“I have heard that he will be okay, but I do not know the extent of his injuries,” said Lemons.

He said he also did not yet know the name of the suspect and noted that the situation had escalated so quickly that police were just getting started in confirming the details of the case.

“It went from an armed robbery call, to a barricaded subject, to an officer shooting, to an SBI investigation in just a couple of hours,” he said.

Old U.S. Highway 52 and Mill Street were closed for a portion of the night as a result of the incident.

Nicholas Elmes may be reached at 336-591-8191 or on Twitter @NicholasElmes.

By Nicholas Elmes

comments powered by Disqus