The American Red Cross announces the following dates for blood drives.
• Aug. 13, 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Surry County Government Center Blood Drive, 118 Hamby Road, Dobson. For an appointment, call 401-8209.
• Aug. 16, 12:30 to 5 p.m., Bannertown Baptist Church Blood Drive, 1834 Westfield Road, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 789-2505.
• Aug. 26, 2 to 6:30 p.m., Copeland Ruritan Club Blood Drive, 975 Copeland School Road, Dobson. For an appointment, call 374-2292.
• Aug. 29, 1 to 5:30 p.m., Slate Mountain Baptist Church Blood Drive, 3644 E. Pine St., Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 710-7917.
• Aug. 30, 12:30 to 5 p.m., Holy Cross Missionary Baptist Church Blood Drive, 344 York Road, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 406-3742.
The blood inventory is in need of all blood types. The Carolinas Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross, which supplies blood to 103 hospitals, needs 1,600 blood and platelet donors each day in order to meet the needs of patients in those hospitals.
Blood donors must be 16 years of age (parental consent form needed), must meet new height and weight requirements and be in good health on the day of donating. Go to www.surrycountyredcross.org for the parental consent form that is needed for a 16-year-old to give blood. Don’t forget an ID. Donors should drink plenty of water, avoid caffeine, eat iron rich foods and eat well before donating. For more information, call the Surry County Red Cross at 786-4183, (800) 448-3542 or visit www.GIVELIFE.org.