Sweet Repeats opens registration


By Dean Palmer - Special to the News



First United Methodist Church is accepting registration for the fall version of its biannual “Sweet Repeats” children’s consignment clothing sale.

Consignors are invited to sign up to bring in their gently used children’s clothing in sizes 0-16 along with toys, some baby equipment, maternity clothing, nursery bedding, books, sports equipment, shoes and other items related to children.

Scheduled to take place on Sept. 21, 22 and 23 in the church’s Family Life Center, the Thursday-Saturday sale will offer an assortment of family items at a fraction of their original price. Thursday’s scheduled hours are from 6-9 p.m. Friday will feature the hours of 9 a.m.-7 p.m. with the event continuing on Saturday morning from 9 a.m.-noon.

Area residents are invited to take part in both selling and buying children’s items. Potential consigners are asked to provide a minimum of $75 of merchandise for sale.

Participants may register online at www.fumcsweetrepeats.com. A $10 consigner registration fee will be charged. All completed entries and fee should be submitted online or returned to the church office by the registration deadline of Sept. 13.

Consigners will receive 70 percent of each sale with the remaining 30 percent to go toward children’s ministries at the church. As part of preparation, consigners will be offered an option to choose to reduce by half prices on their remaining items for Saturday morning. Consignors will also be given the option of having merchandise remaining after the sale donated to a local non-profit.

Consigners will also receive a ticket to a private pre-sale to be held on the evening of Sept. 20. Activities will include a $100 cash drawing and the winner must be present.

Items to be offered will include gently used children’s clothing, toys, some baby equipment, maternity clothes, nursery bedding, books, sports equipment, shoes and other items related to children. Clothing is offered in sizes 0-16, with smaller sizes usually proving most popular.

Items not accepted for sale include any play pens with exposed hinges, pacifiers, teething toys, bottle nipples, under garments and non-brand name tee shirts and sweat shirts. Damaged items as well as items that have stains or holes, are too worn, are from the wrong season, that have foul odors or items that are tagged incorrectly will be removed for donation to charity prior to the sale.

As a way of coping with the preparation time needed for the still growing sale, volunteers also ask that consignors bundle items beforehand by size and gender.

An electronic tagging system and checkout system will also be used. The system will allow each consignor to check from home to see what items have or haven’t sold at any point during the sale.

Detailed requirements, suggestions and preparation instructions are provided in each consignor registration packet.

Car seats will be allowed for sale if they meet the specifications noted on a provided checklist.

Now in its ninth year, the sale has grown in popularity throughout its history. According to organizers, the established formula allows families to clear closets of outgrown but still quality clothing and accessories. These families and others may then take advantage of the offerings to purchase quality children’s clothing for the cooler temperatures at prices much less than retail.

The sale is organized and staffed by church volunteers, with all proceeds going into its assorted children’s ministries.

“This is a great outreach program for our church,” noted volunteer organizer Kelly Motsinger. ”Not only does it benefit the children of our church, but it’s an asset to the families and children who are getting high quality things.”

“This will fund a lot of programs throughout the year,” Motsinger continued, “programs that will benefit our children and our community.”

By Dean Palmer

Special to the News

comments powered by Disqus