The American Red Cross announces the following dates for blood drives:
• Jan. 20, 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., AES Blood Drive, 101 Technology Lane, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 789-0792 ext. 331.
• Jan. 21, 1 to 5:30 p.m., Shoals Elementary School Blood Drive, 1800 Shoals Road, Pinnacle. For an appointment, call 325-2518.
• Jan. 25, noon to 4:30 p.m., Pilot Mountain Community Blood Drive, Pilot Mountain First UMC, 210 Marion Street, Pilot Mountain. For an appointment, call 368-4889.
• Jan. 28, 1 to 5:30 p.m., Cedar Ridge Elementary School Blood Drive, 734 Flippin Road, Lowgap. For an appointment, call 352-4320.
• Jan. 28, 2 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Mount Airy Middle School Blood Drive, 249 Hamburg Street, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 789-9021.
The blood inventory is in need of all blood types. The Carolinas Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross, which supplies blood to 103 hospitals, needs 1,600 blood and platelet donors each day in order to meet the needs of patients in those hospitals.
Blood donors must be 16 years of age (parental consent form needed), must meet new height and weight requirements and be in good health on the day of donating. Go to www.surrycountyredcross.org for the parental consent form that is needed for a 16-year-old to give blood. Don’t forget an ID. Donors should drink plenty of water, avoid caffeine, eat iron rich foods and eat well before donating. For more information, call the Surry County Red Cross at 786-4183, (800) 448-3542 or visit www.GIVELIFE.org.