The American Red Cross announces the following dates for blood drives.
• June 10, 2:30 to 7 p.m., Andrew Cave “Leaders Save Lives” Blood Drive, Gentry Middle School, 1915 W. Pine St., Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 648-2818.
• June 14, 12:30 to 5 p.m., Bannertown Baptist Church Blood Drive, 1834 Westfield Road, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 789-2505.
• June 14, noon to 5 p.m., Salem Fork Christian Church Blood Drive, 2245 White Dirt Road, Dobson. For an appointment, call 366-2031.
• June 17, 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., AES Blood Drive, 101 Technology Lane, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 789-0792 ext. 331.
• June 19, 2:30 to 7 p.m., The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Blood Drive, 100 Windsor Drive, Dobson. For an appointment, call 244-4858.
• June 25, noon to 4:30 p.m., Lowe’s Hardware Blood Drive, 692 S. Andy Griffith Parkway, Mount Airy. For an appointment, call 789-6100 ext. 208.
The blood inventory is in need of all blood types. The Carolinas Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross, which supplies blood to 103 hospitals, needs 1,600 blood and platelet donors each day in order to meet the needs of patients in those hospitals.
Blood donors must be 16 years of age (parental consent form needed), must meet new height and weight requirements and be in good health on the day of donating. Go to www.surrycountyredcross.org for the parental consent form that is needed for a 16-year-old to give blood. Don’t forget an ID. Donors should drink plenty of water, avoid caffeine, eat iron rich foods and eat well before donating. For more information, call the Surry County Red Cross at 786-4183, (800) 448-3542 or visit www.GIVELIFE.org.